What is it?
A VSM is a process which harnesses the knowledge of the team, the in-house process experts, to create an agreed picture of the process and the wastes and challenges that exist within it. Importantly, it also allows in a controlled, but engaging way, the opportunity for people to identify potential solutions to the issues identified.
Why do it?
- Creates stakeholder engagement by forming a picture of the process that the team agrees with
- Mapping assists in identifying waste, issues and opportunities
- Provides a picture of the overall value chain, which avoids the silo approach that often exists within individual steps of larger processes, that span numerous departments
When to apply?
- To view processes that have multiple departments, to look at the overall efficiency of the process
- As the starting point for any improvement to understand the “As Is” as opposed to the “Should Be” process
- Can be used as an approach to build a Continuous Improvement program